Disclosures: The writer was not compensated by any individual or firm for the content material of this submit. The submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. In case you purchase a product utilizing these hyperlinks, we obtain a fee. This helps with the price of publishing recipes on this web site.
For extra recipes like this one, comply with us on Pinterest, comply with us on Twitter or like us on Fb.
The place I reside, late summer time is one of the best consuming time of yr. Native produce stands are popping up on virtually each nook. This time of yr, I go to my favourite farm stand day by day. I’ll decide up all our summer time favorites, like peaches, corn, summer time squash and watermelon, however my absolute favourite factor to purchase is recent native raspberries, which I exploit to make low sugar raspberry jam.
I’m a bit obsessive about these native raspberries, due to their intense, shiny, sweet-tart taste. I feel different individuals in my hometown love them too. They often promote out early within the day. If I need to get sufficient raspberries to make my low sugar raspberry jam for the yr, I’ve to get to the stand proper because the supply truck arrives! I make Three-Four batches of do-it-yourself raspberry jam each summer time, so I’ve a lot for my household and to divulge to pals.
Should you don’t have a favourite native provider of raspberries, you should use any recent raspberries and even frozen raspberries in your low sugar raspberry jam. Frozen raspberries are inexpensive, they usually’re frozen the identical day they’re picked, in order that they have nice taste. Should you use frozen raspberries, measure them out whereas frozen, then allow them to thaw earlier than utilizing them within the recipe.
Making selfmade raspberry jam is straightforward, however you will have just a little little bit of canning gear:
- Water tub canner with canning rack
- half pint Mason jars with lids and rings
- Jar lifting tongs
- Canning funnel
- Magnetic wand for retrieving lids from scorching water (elective)
Yow will discover the jars, rings, canners and all of the gear at shops like Walmart or many grocery shops, or you possibly can order a canning package, like this Ball Enamel Water Tub Canner with Utensils, from Amazon. Most individuals solely have to purchase this gear as soon as, and it lasts a lifetime. The one exception is the jar lids and rings, which have to get replaced.
Additionally, you will want a few of your common kitchen gear for this recipe:
- Potato masher
- Giant, open pot, like a soup pot, for boiling the jam
- Picket spoon or heat-proof silicone spatula, for stirring
- Giant spoon for skimming
- Giant liquid measuring cup
- Dry measuring cups and spoons
- Small ceramic plates
- Clear kitchen towels
Earlier than you start, sterilize 6 half-pint Mason jars. Verify the jars by operating your finger across the rim, to ensure they’re not chipped. A jar that’s chipped gained’t seal correctly.
You possibly can sterilize the jars utilizing the sterilize cycle of the dishwasher, or by boiling the jars on the stovetop for 10 minutes. I often fill the canner with water, and use that to boil the jars. Use the jar lifting tongs to take the jars out of the water, and set the jars on a clear kitchen towel. Put 2 small ceramic plates within the fridge, as a result of you will have these later for testing the jam.
In the meantime, wash about eight cups of recent raspberries, and select any leaves that could be sticking to them. Eight cups of entire raspberries ought to yield 5 cups of mashed raspberries, which is what you want for this recipe.
You possibly can mash the raspberries with a potato masher, or course of them in a meals processor utilizing a pulse setting. For this jam, I mashed the raspberries with a potato masher.
When you’re like me and also you need to make a number of batches of jam, I like to recommend making them one by one. Doubling or tripling jam recipes will typically have an effect on the cooking course of.
A key ingredient to low sugar raspberry jam is low sugar pectin. You’ll be able to often discover this in grocery shops close to the place the canning provides are. Be sure to get the low sugar pectin and never the common. Pectin helps the jam thicken. Pectin is produced from apples, so that you don’t want to fret that you simply’re including synthetic chemical compounds to your jam. This recipe merely requires fruit, sugar, lemon juice and pectin.
Combine the fruit, lemon juice, pectin and 1/Four cup of sugar in a big soup pot, and convey that to a full boil. Then add the remainder of the sugar to complete Three half cups, and convey it again to a full boil for one minute. A full boil, additionally referred to as a tough boil, is a boil that doesn’t go away when stirred. Stir the jam your complete cooking time so it doesn’t burn.
Sure, Three 1/2 cups of sugar is a low sugar jam recipe! A daily jam recipe would name for 7 cups of sugar! Common jam is extra sugar than fruit. The best way I take a look at low sugar raspberry jam is that it’s numerous sugar per recipe, however not per serving. A serving of this jam is often one tablespoon, and it’ll add tons of taste to your toast, yogurt, or no matter.
You may discover that this recipe is totally different from the one which comes together with your field or container of pectin. I exploit ratios of fruit, sugar and pectin that may make a comparatively thick jam, which is what I like. This jam has a spreadable slightly than a pourable consistency.
As soon as the jam has come to a tough boil a second time for a full minute, you possibly can check its texture. Take away the jam from the warmth, and take one of many chilly plates out of the fridge. Pour a small spoonful of jam on the chilly plate. If the jam thickens as much as a texture you want, it’s finished.
In case you check the jam and it’s nonetheless too runny, boil it for an additional minute and check once more. If it’s too runny after that, you may want so as to add one other 1/Four field of pectin and boil once more. (I’ve truly by no means had to try this.) This batch was good after the primary check.
As soon as the jam is cooked, use a big spoon to skim off the froth. There’s nothing improper with the froth, however it doesn’t look fairly.
After the froth has been skimmed, let the jam sit for 10 minutes or so, then stir. This can assist distribute the fruit chunks in order that they don’t float to the highest when the jam is within the jars.
Whereas the jam is resting, get the lids prepared. The flat lids for the Mason jars have to soak in scorching – however not boiling – water to activate their seals. I often warmth some water in a pan till virtually boiling, take away it from the warmth, then add the lids. If in case you have a magnetic lid wand, you need to use that when it’s time to take the lids out of the recent water.
Fill the jam jars utilizing a ladle and canning funnel. Be sure that to go away about 1/Four inch of “headspace,” or empty area, on the prime of the jar, so if the meals expands throughout processing, the lid doesn’t blow off!
Wipe off the edges of the jars with a clear towel. Place the lids on the jars and safe with rings, however don’t screw the rings on too tight.
Place the rack contained in the water tub canner and fill with water. Place the jars rigorously within the canner. The water ought to cowl the tops of the jars by at the least one inch. Comply with the instructions that include your water tub canner.
Processing time depends upon how far you’re above sea degree, so examine the recipe under. On the finish of the processing time, use the jar lifting tongs to take away the jars from the water, and set them on a clear towel. Allow them to sit undisturbed for a number of hours, to allow them to seal. You realize they’re sealed when the middle of the lid is depressed barely and doesn’t transfer once you press it together with your finger. You may hear a popping sound when the lids seal.
Making your personal jam is completely well worth the effort! Selfmade jam additionally makes an incredible neighbor present. Give it a attempt to let me know the way it seems!
It is easy to make your personal low sugar raspberry jam, with a brilliant, sweet-tart recent fruit taste! Attempt it, and you will by no means need to return to retailer purchased!
- 6 half-pint Mason jars with lids
- eight cups entire uncooked raspberries, to yield 5 cups mashed raspberries.
- Three ½ cups white sugar
- 1 field low sugar pectin
- Three tablespoons lemon juice, both recent or bottled
- Potato masher
- Giant picket spoon or silicone spatula for stirring
- Giant vast pot (like a soup pot) for cooking
- Water tub canner
- Canning funnel
- Jar lifting tongs
- Sterilize the jars by washing within the dishwasher on the sterilize cycle or immersing in boiling water for 10 minutes. Place clear jars on a clear towel. Put 2 small ceramic plates within the fridge, as a result of you’ll need them later to check the thickness of the jam.
- Wash the raspberries, and decide off any leaves. Mash them with a potato masher, or course of rigorously with a meals processor to get the feel you need. Measure the sugar, and reserve ¼ cup to combine with the pectin.
- Combine the pectin, lemon juice, and ¼ cup sugar in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Place the raspberries in a big cooking pot, and add the pectin combination. Over medium excessive warmth, deliver every part to a full boil that doesn’t go down when stirred. Stir the complete time so the jam doesn’t burn. At this level, add the remainder of the sugar, stir nicely, and convey the jam again to a full boil for one minute. Flip off the warmth and check the thickness of the jam by placing a small spoonful on a chilly ceramic plate. If it’s thick sufficient, it’s finished. If it’s too runny, add ¼ package deal extra pectin, deliver to a tough boil once more for 1 minute, and check once more with the second chilly plate.
- Let the jam cool for 10 minutes, then stir to distribute the fruit. If the jam is just too scorching once you put it within the jars, the fruit chunks will float to the highest. In the meantime, place the Mason jar flat lids (not the rings) in very popular (not boiling) water to get them prepared.
- Fill your jars, utilizing the ladle and funnel, leaving 1/Four inch of clearance area on the prime of the jar.
- Wipe the edges of the jars with a clear, damp towel. Place the lids on the jars and safe with rings. Don’t screw the rings on too tight.
- Course of the jars, following the directions in your water tub canner. This jam requires 5 minutes processing at sea degree, 10 minutes above 1000 ft altitude and 15 minutes above 6000 ft altitude.
- Take away the jars rigorously with the jar lifting tongs, and set them on a clear towel. Depart them undisturbed for a number of hours or in a single day to allow them to seal. You’ll be able to inform they’re sealed if the middle of the lid is depressed barely and doesn’t transfer when pressed together with your finger. Take away the rings in order that they don’t rust because of trapped moisture, or if you wish to depart them on, no less than take away them briefly to ensure they’re dry beneath. The jam lasts a few yr within the pantry.